Learn about NEST
NEST fosters student-school-parent-community relationships to improve outcomes for children:
- Nutritious lunches during the summer months and healthy snacks during the school year
- Targeted-tutoring services to close the academic gap
- Homework help in a safe, caring environment within the neighborhood
- Referrals to support resources for children and their families
- Organized outdoor sports and activities
How does NEST change the outcomes for low-income children in our community?
- Creates school/community connectedness by working cooperatively with children, parents, teachers, and schools
- Addresses identified academic barriers to learning through free, targeted tutoring and homework-help programs, which are offered in a mobile learning center within the child's own environment
- Addresses non-academic barriers to education by providing a local resource for connecting children and their families to support agencies and services.
"It is estimated that over 50% of the children that grow up in poverty spend a lifetime in poverty."
-National Center for Children in Poverty